Early Years Foundation Stage Courses
Spring Term 2016
(for booking see below)
New for 2016 – Cumbria & Northampton Venues
Observing Outstanding Provision in Your Foundation Stage – a course for senior leaders, managers & subject coordinators
- Leeds - Double Tree Hotel, Granary Wharf, 2 Wharf Approach, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS1 4BR. 0113 241 1000 on Tuesday 12th January 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee.
- Manchester - Madeleine Lindley Training & Conference Centre, Broadgate, Broadway Business Park, Chadderton, Oldham OL9 9XA on Wednesday 2nd March 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Sheffield - The Double Tree Hotel (by Hilton Sheffield Park), Chesterfield Road South, Sheffield S8 8BW on Tuesday 8th March 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This completely new course will enhance the current knowledge of senior leadership & management of Foundation stage in looking for quality in their provision. The course will focus on the role of the person leading & managing provision in EYFS. Providing a format for observing & monitoring all aspects of provision & practice.
The course will provide an overview of what is regarded by Ofsted as outstanding leadership and provide a framework for leaders & managers to develop an effective action plan for future development.
The main aspects considered in the course will involve observing & monitoring:
- Knowledgeable confident practitioners
- Children engaged in effective learning in child initiated & adult directed activities
- The learning environment inside & outside (including basic provision, enhancement & challenge)
- Children evidencing positive behaviours & respect for learning environment
- Evidence & progress of children in EYFS
- Analysing outcomes & achievement
- Parental engagement
EYFS & Ofsted – the Common Inspection Framework in Early Years
- Lancashire – Ribby Hall Conference Centre, Ribby Road, Wrea Green, Preston PR4 2PR Friday 8th January 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Liverpool – The De Vere Village Hotel Liverpool, Fallows Way, Whiston L35 1RZ on Thursday 28th January 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Northampton – Hilton Hotel, 100 Watering Lane, Collingtree, Northampton, NN4 0XW (2 minutes drive from Junction 15 on M1), Monday 14th March 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This completely new course takes the Common Inspection Framework for September 2015 and looks at the implications for EYFS in order to ensure everything is in place for high quality learning for children in EYFS whilst also preparing for Ofsted.
The course looks in depth at the specific judgement for EYFS and considers what this means in relation to:
- Effectiveness of leadership and management
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment
- Personal development, behaviour and welfare
- Outcomes for children and learners.
Each delegate will leave with a very clear picture of what outstanding practice might look like in EYFS and the steps they need to take to ensure their EYFS is Ofsted ready.
Delegates will have a format for evaluating EYFS practice in their schools in order to impact on the quality of childrens learning. Delegates will be provided with a format for self-evaluation of the EYFS statutory welfare requirements.
The course will also consider the nature of:
- Current good practice in developing an environment for learning inside & outside which promotes learning across all areas of learning & development
- Balancing child initiated learning & adult directed learning for all areas of learning & development plus RE & CW in reception
- Enhancement and challenge in the learning environment
- Staff knowledge & development including the ability to scaffold learning & identify potential learning outcomes in child initiated learning
- Simple & manageable ways of baselining & tracking childrens learning in order to be able to evidence learning & progress
- Promoting positive self- assurance & self- esteem in EYFS
- EYFS & Fundamental British Values
Outstanding Ideas to Develop Early Writing in EYFS
- Manchester - Madeleine Lindley Training & Conference Centre, Broadgate, Broadway Business Park, Chadderton, Oldham OL9 9XA on Tuesday 26th January 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This course will consider the fundamentals that need to be in place in child initiated & adult directed teaching to ensure children become confident writers. The course will:
- Provide opportunities for practitioners to reflect on the ways to promote & develop early writing for young children in nursery & reception classes.
- Suggest strategies for the development of staff knowledge of the processes involved in meeting the individual needs of children.
- Consider the nature of enhanced / enriched provision to support writing & how to challenge more able writers in FS.
- Look at promoting a positive image of writing for all children whilst also meeting the needs of boys.
- Investigate the nature of interactive writing situations & stimulating creative writing.
- Explore the teaching of writing from a developmental perspective.
EYFS & Fundamental British Values
- Birmingham Area - Beckett's Farm (A. E. Beckett & Sons Ltd), Heath Farm, Alcester Road, Wythall, Birmingham, B47 6AJ on Wednesday 3rd February 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee.
- Leeds - Double Tree Hotel, Granary Wharf, 2 Wharf Approach, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS1 4BR. 0113 241 1000 on Wednesday 9th March 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee.
This new Early Years course aims to support all practitioners in developing a greater understanding of what Fundamental British Values are and how to incorporate them effectively into early learning.
The course will explore the values of democracy, rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect & tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs along with the ‘prevent duty’. We will also consider how such values translate in good early years practice through aspects of every day routines, behaviour management, PSED, Understanding the World & RE.
We will further explore how to ensure staff are on board and how they influence practice alongside a range of simple and manageable activities which will promote and embed FBV in a positive yet manageable way.
EYFS: Child Initiated Learning,
Continuous Provision building & young children learning
- Cumbria - Armathwaite Hall County House Hotel and Spa, Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick CA12 4RE, Monday 29th February 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee
- Liverpool – The De Vere Village Hotel Liverpool, Fallows Way, Whiston L35 1RZ on Tuesday 22nd March 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This course looks at the EYFS statutory requirement to provide a balance of adult led and child initiated learning. The course will consider:
- What freely chosen or child initiated learning implies.
- How child initiated learning can be offered through a range of continuous provision in the indoor environment.
- The nature of basic continuous provision and how this might be set up, maintained & planned for in order to identify potential learning outcomes.
- Enhancement of basic continuous provision.
- Challenge for children whose learning needs to be extended (adult initiated or open ended learning).
- An in-depth look at the three characteristics of effective learning & how they relate to child initiated learning.
- Short & medium term planning for continuous provision, enhancement & challenge.
Outstanding Ideas for Developing Communication & Language in EYFS
- Lancashire – Ribby Hall Conference Centre, Ribby Road, Wrea Green, Preston PR4 2PR Tuesday 1st March 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £135 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- London - etc.venues, Garfield House, 86 Edgware Rd, London W2 2EA
020 7793 4200on Tuesday 15th March 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £185 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee. Please note change in venue.
This new course will:
- Look in detail at the Early Years Outcomes for Communication & Language.
- Raise practitioners’ awareness and understanding of children’s communication and language.
- Help practitioners become more aware of language as an essential pre-requisite for all future learning.
- Help practitioners understand how their own communicative behaviour affects children’s ability to communicate.
- Develop a range of exciting and stimulating activities to help children learn to listen attentively and speak clearly and confidently through both child initiated & adult led learning with some additional thoughts on indoor & outdoor environments.
- Think about promoting language for thinking, big questions and the use of plan, do, review.
- Focus on developing sustained shared thinking, what it is and how to develop it.
Ultimate Outdoor Learning in EYFS – Contrasting not Duplicating
- Birmingham Area - Beckett's Farm (A. E. Beckett & Sons Ltd), Heath Farm, Alcester Road, Wythall, Birmingham, B47 6AJ on Wednesday 16th March 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £155 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee.
This course looks at the essential nature & long term advantages of offering high quality, challenging outdoor learning. The course will:
- Explores the pedagogy behind outdoor learning providing practitioners with solid philosophical justification useful for coaching, senior management, Ofsted & parents.
- Examines the critical role of the adult in supporting learning outdoors.
- Examines ultimate outdoor provision & learning with common sense ideas as to how to put this into practice in the delegate’s provision.
- Identifies what is basic to effective outdoor learning and moves onto consider the essential elements of provision.
- Provides many practical examples of effective provision.
- Considers hazard, risk taking and challenge.
- Explores on-going learning experiences & planning for effective outdoor learning (short & medium term).
- Promotes the use of stories as a starting point for developing early learning in the outdoors developing plods (possible lines of development) and following children’s learning needs & interests.
In School Advice & Training
We offer customised consultancy & training nationally & internationally for settings, schools & networks of schools. This includes on-site training and/or observation & evaluation of the schools foundation stage practice. All of the above courses can be delivered in your school for your staff. Prices on application.
Please e-mail the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- School name, address & telephone number:
- Order No:
- Participant Name:
- Course name:
- Course date:
Kathy Bigio Limited, Early Years Advice & Training
1, Dovecote, Clayton-le-Woods, Lancs, PR6 7AY.
email@example.com www.kathybigio.com Telephone 0772 589 6063