Early Years Foundation Stage In School
Training & Courses Autumn Term 2016
EYFS: Establishing YOUR Baseline for Evidencing Progression.
- Cumbria - Armathwaite Hall County House Hotel and Spa, Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick CA12 4RE, Friday 30th September 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Manchester - Madeleine Lindley Training & Conference Centre, Broadgate, Broadway Business Park, Chadderton, Oldham OL9 9XA on Tuesday 4th October 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
Now the government has abandoned the implementation of a statutory national baseline, schools need clarify how they will establish on-entry levels in nursery and reception. This is essential for value added data, progression in learning and for assessment for learning.
This course will debate the nature of appropriate data / evidence for young children in nursery & reception.
It will provide delegates with the necessary knowledge of child development & the collection of appropriate evidence in order to be able to substantiate baseline data to senior management, inspectors and local authority moderators.
The course will look in detail at Early Years Outcomes, the use of child development expertise & identify the kind of evidence which can indisputably substantiate baseline & progress which is particularly important for children who are working below national expectations. The course will consider the use of tracking to identify progress in children’s learning, significant comments & next steps & the collection of a limited amount of evidence important for substantiating on entry data & ongoing learning.
We will also look at the critical role parents & children play in this process and considers how to include the voice of the parent / child.
Ultimate Outdoor Learning in EYFS: Developing an environment for learning
- Lancashire – Ribby Hall Conference Centre, Ribby Road, Wrea Green, Preston PR4 2PR Wednesday 5th October 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Manchester - Madeleine Lindley Training & Conference Centre, Broadgate, Broadway Business Park, Chadderton, Oldham OL9 9XA on Wednesday 9th November 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Birmingham Area - Westmead Hotel, Redditch Road, Hopwood, Birmingham. B48 7AL. Telephone 0121 445 1202. Free parking. Monday 14th November 2016. 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee. Please note change in venue.
This completely revised course looks at the importance of developing an environment for learning outside which focuses on developing different skills, knowledge & understanding to the environment inside. The day will
- Consider the unique nature of outdoor learning in order to promote learning across all areas of learning & development whilst acknowledging the importance of outdoors in relation to physical development, understanding the world and personal, social & emotional development.
- Explore the characteristics of effective learning and identify their implications for providing an outdoor environment which promotes learning for all children.
- Identify the crucial role of the adult in facilitating an environment for learning, supporting & extending children’s play.
- Reinforce the importance of effective communication between children and adults in order to promote language development and sustained shared thinking by the use of effective questioning.
- Consider the importance of effective planning in relation to outdoor learning to inform adult interactions & to enhance & challenge childrens learning.
- Provide revised (2016 version) exemplar planning formats for medium & short term outdoor learning.
- Look at the relationship between basic provision, ongoing provision, adult directed and independent learning in the outdoors.
- Ensure all adults involved in EYFS can identify and promote potential learning outcomes for all children when outdoors.
- Provide a multitude of ideas for taking back to the school to promote an effective learning environment.
New to the Early Years Foundation Stage
- Liverpool – The De Vere Village Hotel Liverpool, Fallows Way, Whiston L35 1RZ on Friday 7th October 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- London - etc.venues Marble Arch, Garfield House, 86 Edgware Rd, London W2 2EA
020 7793 4200 on Wednesday 12th October 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £190 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee. Please note change in venue.
- Birmingham Area - Westmead Hotel, Redditch Road, Hopwood, Birmingham. B48 7AL. Telephone 0121 445 1202. Free parking. Wednesday 19th October 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee. Please note change in venue.
This course provides a detailed introduction to the Early Years Foundation Stage for those completely new to FS or those returning to FS. The concept of the day is to provide practitioners with an action plan for the build up to their initiation into FS and a survival guide for the first few months. The course will look in detail at:
- The basic knowledge practitioners need to engage with in order to ensure appropriate early learning.
- Preparing for children coming into FS to learn and develop – what needs to be in place from the beginning.
- An action plan for the first few months in FS including developing child initiated learning inside & outside, baseline knowledge of the child and how to establish early routines, independence & appropriate behaviour.
- The course then considers developing you as a knowledgeable, reflective early years practitioner.
Evidencing Attainment for Ofsted 2016
- Sheffield - The Double Tree Hotel (by Hilton Sheffield Park), Chesterfield Road South, Sheffield S8 8BW on Tuesday 18th October 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This full day course will look at ways of evidencing attainment (key Ofsted judgement) for children in EYFS. The course will consider manageable ways of tracking learning (providing tracking documents), recording observations and using these to inform next steps in learning.
The course considers records of achievement (learning journeys) & how to develop them for individual children. Part of the day will look at the EYFS Profile and consider implications for practice. The course will also look at short planning & evaluation as an aspect of evidencing attainment
EYFS: The Adult Role in Supporting Children’s Learning
- Cumbria - Armathwaite Hall County House Hotel and Spa, Bassenthwaite Lake, Keswick CA12 4RE, Monday 7th November 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This popular full day course provides ongoing professional development for practitioners (teaching and support staff) working in EYFS. It is particularly important in helping staff become aware of and able to carry out their roles.
Initially the course shares a vision in relation to outcomes for EYFS exploring the impact of staff performance on the developing child.
We then move onto consider what basic knowledge EYFS practitioners need in order to be able to carry out their role including knowledge of the ‘Enduring Characteristics of Learning’ and the crucial need for all staff to be involved in observation, assessment & next steps in relation to young children’s learning.
The course will provide an overview of the need for all staff to be involved in:
- Tracking children’s learning & collecting evidence in order to evidence progression in learning.
- Developing & maintaining an environment for learning inside & outside and how the basic learning environment can be enhanced in relation to children’s needs & interests.
- The nature of informed adult interaction when supporting adult directed & child initiated learning.
- The use of open ended question to help develop problem solving & sustained shared thinking
- The careful & focussed development of children’s vocabulary across all areas of learning & development.
- Establishing & maintaining positive behaviour.
EYFS & Ofsted – the Common Inspection Framework in Early Years 2016
- Leeds – Hilton Leeds City, Neville St, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS1 4BX, 0113 2207702 on Thursday 10th November 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch and coffee.
- Northampton – Hilton Hotel, 100 Watering Lane, Collingtree, Northampton, NN4 0XW (2 minutes drive from Junction 15 on M1), Tuesday 15th November 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Liverpool – The De Vere Village Hotel Liverpool, Fallows Way, Whiston L35 1RZ on Monday 21st November 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
- Lancashire – Ribby Hall Conference Centre, Ribby Road, Wrea Green, Preston PR4 2PR Tuesday 22nd November 2016, 10am to 3.45pm. Price £140 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This course takes the Ofsted Common Inspection Framework and looks at the implications for EYFS in order to ensure everything is in place for high quality learning for children in EYFS whilst also preparing for Ofsted.
The course looks in depth at the specific judgement for EYFS and considers what this means in relation to:
- Effective leadership & management.
- Quality of teaching, learning & assessment.
- Personal development, behaviour & welfare.
- Outcomes for children & learners.
Each delegate will leave with a very clear picture of what outstanding practice might look like in EYFS and the steps they need to take to ensure their EYFS is Ofsted ready.
Delegates will have a format for evaluating EYFS practice in their schools in order to impact on the quality of children’s learning. Delegates will be provided with a format for self-evaluation of the EYFS statutory welfare requirements.
The course will also consider the nature of:
- Current good practice in developing an environment for learning inside & outside which promotes learning across all areas of learning & development.
- Balancing child initiated learning & adult directed learning for all areas of learning & development plus RE & CW in reception.
- Enhancement and challenge in the learning environment.
- Staff knowledge & development including the ability to scaffold learning & identify potential learning outcomes in child initiated learning.
- Simple & manageable ways of baselining & tracking children’s learning in order to be able to evidence learning & progress.
- Promoting positive self-assurance & self-esteem in EYFS
- Fundamental British Values
Outstanding Ideas for Developing Communication & Language in EYFS
- Sheffield - The Double Tree Hotel (by Hilton Sheffield Park), Chesterfield Road South, Sheffield S8 8BW on Tuesday 29th November 2016 10am to 3.45pm. Price £160 (plus VAT) including lunch & coffee.
This course will:
- Look in detail at the Early Years Outcomes for Communication & Language.
- Raise practitioners’ awareness and understanding of children’s communication and language.
- Help practitioners become more aware of language as an essential pre-requisite for all future learning.
- Help practitioners understand how their own communicative behaviour affects children’s ability to communicate.
- Develop a range of exciting and stimulating activities to help children learn to listen attentively and speak clearly and confidently through both child initiated & adult led learning with some additional thoughts on indoor & outdoor environments.
- Think about promoting language for thinking, big questions and the use of plan, do, review.
- Focus on developing sustained shared thinking, what it is and how to develop it.
In School Advice & Training
We offer customised consultancy & training nationally & internationally for settings, schools & networks of schools. This includes on-site training and/or observation & evaluation of the schools foundation stage practice. All of the above courses can be delivered in your school for your staff. Prices on application.
Please e-mail the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- School name, address & telephone number:
- Order No:
- Participant Name:
- Course name:
- Course date:
Kathy Bigio Limited, Early Years Advice & Training
1, Dovecote, Clayton-le-Woods, Lancs, PR6 7AY.
email@example.com www.kathybigio.com Telephone 0772 589 6063